Breakups aren’t fun for anyone, whether it’s a messy split, mutual or just calm and clean cut. The aftermath can be even worse, all because people don’t enforce simple breakup etiquette! By doing ( or not doing) a few simple things in the aftermath of the breakup, you can make it a much smoother experience. Having recently been going through my own breakup I feel these things are pretty important.
- Don’t have breakup sex! You will at some point regret it and it blurs the lines and boundaries of breaking up. It won’t give you closure, it’ll just make the situation harder, especially if you lived together.
- Don’t publicly flirt for at least a third of the time you were together!! This one is just about respect, do what you want privately. When you publicly flirt with people quickly after a breakup it’s not only disrespectful of your ex but it can also be humiliating for them as well, it makes the relationship look insignificant to outsiders. This rule especially applies if the flirting can be traced back to indiscretions committed during the relationship, do you really want to make your ex feel ever worse? No because it’s not cool.
- Be clear about your intentions. Whether you want to attempt friendship after or not you need to make the boundaries clear, this includes things like; giving them false hope for a future with you, be clear if that’s not going to happen.
- Keep it clean, don’t slag them off to everyone. How would you feel if they did that to you? By all means confide in someone close to you, you need to talk to someone, just don’t be an arsehole about it. Remember the good and bad about them when you do this.
- Don’t angrily contact them after the breakup about something they did during the relationship. It’s not worth it, it won’t help in the slightest and will probably just make it harder.
- Be respectful of each other’s feelings. You’re both going through this breakup, it may look like your ex is dealing with it really well on the outside but that doesn’t mean they aren’t just as broken up about it as you. If you happen to be dealing with it very well then great, but don’t rub it in their face. It works both ways.
Don’t forget that it’s okay to feel it, the sadness, anger or even relief. Just don’t let it consume you, follow these simple rules of breakup etiquette and look towards the future, things will be better in no time.
If you have your own breakup etiquette ideas or advice send me a message, I’d love to hear them!
The Echo. x